- Apply nowThe program starts once a year
- 1Sep1 SeptemberSeptember
- More information...Brochure, helpdesk
Admission and Finances
Get answers to important questions about Sustainable Energy. About admission requirements, tuition fees and scholarships. Ready to enroll? We explain how to enroll in 6 simple steps.
Want to enroll in the master track in Sustainable Energy at HAN? There are 2 important admission requirements. Your prior education and your English fluency. We also consider whether the program is a good match for you. So we also look at your CV and motivation letter.
You need a bachelor degree in engineering or a related technical discipline. Your grades must average at least 70%. Or, your grade point average must be 2.8 or higher (in a 4.0 system). You need good grades in mathematics and physics. And in subjects related to your track.
Have you already covered some units in the curriculum? You may be exempt from parts of the program. Indicate this on your application.
Do you have doubts about your mathematics skills for this track? Then you can work on some extra mathematics modules at home before the start of the track. Please contact Kea Bouwman (email@example.com).
You must have a sufficient level of English. To prove this you need one of the following:
- IELTS score of at least 6.0 (for reading, listening, writing and speaking); all sub-scores must be 6.0 or higher.
- TOEFL score of 80 or higher (iBT – all sub-scores must be at least 18)*
- Cambridge certificate: FCE Grade C minimum score 169 / CAE / CPE
*Please note that home editions are not accepted. Only tests taken at an examination center are considered. Also, you can ask ETS TOEFL to send us your score directly by using the HAN University of Applied Sciences code: 7832.
HAN also looks at your CV and your motivation for choosing this program. In your motivation letter you need to include answers to these questions:
- Why did you choose a university of applied sciences?
- Why did you choose this master and this track?
- What sort of a person are you?
- And how will you deal with a different cultural environment?
Please read the following PDF document about differences in educational style before writing your motivation letter.
Apply in 7 steps
Are you ready to apply for the Master in Engineering Systems? Here we guide you through the 7 steps of the application process.
Do you meet the admission criteria? Then you can apply.
When you apply on Studielink, select the program Master Engineering Systems. Then select the track you want to follow. Apply before:
EU/EEA students Non-EU/EEA students 15 August 1 June
Read the Step-by-step guide to Studielink (in PDF).
- After you apply in Studielink, you'll receive an email from HAN confirming your application. This email will be sent to the email address you entered in Studielink.Haven't received the email? Also not in your junk folder? Contact us so we can work out what's wrong.
Emails about your application will be sent from this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Add this address as a safe sender in your mail program right away. That way info about your application won’t end up in your junk folder.
- If you still need to submit information, you will receive an email about it. This will also contain your login information for “My Application”.
- Log in to "My Application" to submit documents or details. You can also see the status of your submitted information here.
- It’s possible you only need to upload a passport photo. We use the photo for your HAN card, which you will need for all facilities on campus.
- Have you applied for more than one program? Then you will see what info you still need to submit per program.
The program manager reviews your application and documents. You might be asked for additional information. Or an interview. Then you are informed whether you’ve been accepted.
Ready to finalize your enrollment and become a HAN student? The final step, after submitting all necessary documents, is paying your tuition fee. Find out more about how to pay your tuition fee.
- Make sure you've finished steps 2, 3 and 4 before starting your program. Preferably a few weeks before. That way your enrollment is confirmed in time and you have access to all the facilities from the start of your studies.
- Go to Studielink to see if your enrollment in the program is confirmed.
Your tuition fee depends on your nationality. And whether you already earned a master degree in the Netherlands. Nationalities within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) generally pay a lower tuition fee. The table below shows this as EU/EEA. This includes all EU countries plus Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland. Students from Suriname also pay this lower fee. Check out our page about tuition fees for more information.
Tuition fees for Engineering Systems (all tracks)
Student from EU/EEA or Suriname
€ 2,209 € 2,314
EU/EEA student with master degree from Dutch institution
€ 8,965 € 9,400
€ 8,965 € 9,400
Financial guarantee (non-EU/EEA)
The cost of living in the Netherlands may be very different from in your home country. That’s why you're required to pay a financial guarantee. This amount covers your tuition fee and your cost of living. Paying this ensures you have sufficient funds to live and study in the Netherlands. The financial guarantee is a requirement of the visa process.
Awarding excellence HAN Scholarships
Interested in studying Sustainable Energy at HAN? From outside the EU/EEA? HAN offers scholarships to talented master students in collaboration with the Dutch Ministry of Education and Science.
Cost of Living
Planning to study in the Netherlands? As a rule of thumb, you need about €1000 a month as a student in Arnhem or Nijmegen to live comfortably. Want to know more about monthly expenses and how to save money? Read more on our cost of living page. Are you interested in combining study with work? Check out our page about working in the Netherlands.
|What||Approx. cost per month|
|Renting a furnished room + utilities||€400 to €500|
|Books and study materials||€340 (per year)|
|Public transport||€50 to €100|
Wondering if the Sustainable Energy master track is a good fit for you? Visit an Open Day or Open Evening. Not possible? Request an online meeting and talk to one of our staff members. We can discuss your background and see whether this program is a good fit for you.
Contact us at HAN Technical Masters.
We're happy to help with all your questions!
Next page: Practical information
Do you need a visa? How do you arrange student accommodation? And what about insurances and public transport? Get all the practical info here.