New bachelor/master students

Looking to do a bachelor or master degree in the Netherlands? Are you from outside the EU/EEA? Then you need a residence permit and you have to pay the financial guarantee. Find out more here.

Studenten in International School of Business Basecamp

Which one applies to me?

EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA?

EU/EEA stands for European Union / European Economic Area. Do you have a passport for one of these countries or for Switzerland? Then you are considered an EU/EEA citizen. Do you have a passport for another country? Then you are considered a non-EU/EEA citizen. Want to check if your country is part of the EU or EEA? Go to the site of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)

vlaggetjes verschillende landen

Do I need a residence permit to study at HAN?

Apply in 4 steps

Here are the steps to apply for a residence permit:

Note: we only process study-related residence permit applications. Are you coming with family members? Please contact the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country. They tell you how your family members can apply for a residence permit. 


Your residence permit application can only be processed once you’ve paid your tuition and financial guarantee. We need to receive your payment and all completed documents by the following deadlines: 

Fall semester (starting in September) 1 June
Spring semester (starting in February) 1 November

Are you a national of Bangladesh, Iran, Nepal or Pakistan?
Your residence permit documents generally take longer to be processed by the IND. That’s why we recommend that you submit your application with tuition payment earlier, by 15 May or 15 October.

Financial guarantee

Do you need a residence permit to study in the Netherlands? Then as well as tuition fees you need to pay the financial guarantee. What does it cover and how much does it cost? Select the relevant starting date below to find out.

Payment Options Financial Guarantee

There are 3 options to consider for the Financial Guarantee. Are you a national of Bangladesh, Iran, Nepal or Pakistan? You can only choose option 1: full payment of the Financial Guarantee.

How to Provide Proof of Financial Means

Want to use the partial payment option for the Financial Guarantee? Then you need to provide extra proof of financial means. Select the relevant option(s) below. You can combine options to come to the necessary amount if needed. For example, self-supporting and scholarship.