Apply now
Start date not set yet
More information ...
Brochure, helpdesk
    We are happy to help with all your questions

Practical info

You’d like to take the Embedded: Embedded Systems Design exchange program at HAN? What about visas, housing and insurance? Get answers to all your practical questions here.

goals en internationale boeken


To enroll in the Embedded: Embedded Systems Design exchange program you might need an entry visa and/or a residence permit. Follow the handy guideline to find out which visas and permits you need. Also, find out which documents you need to submit and when.

kijken in gidsen


Interested in joining the Embedded: Embedded Systems Design exchange program? Wondering where you’ll stay? The HAN Housing Office arranges rooms for exchange students in Arnhem. You rent the room from August to January or February to July. 

kijken in gidsen

Arrival info

Arriving from Amsterdam Schiphol airport? From there you can take a train to Arnhem. The train station is directly underneath the airport. It takes a little over 1 hour by train to Arnhem. Make sure you arrive in time for the HAN’s On: International Welcome Days. This introduction program helps you get settled into student life at HAN.

kijken in gidsen

Other practical matters

Once you arrive in the Netherlands there are other practical matters you need to consider. Like what is the cost of living? Do I need insurance? How does public transport work in the Netherlands? Am I allowed to get a part-time job? Find the answers below.

  • Insurance

    When coming to the Netherlands to study, you need to have good insurance. Health insurance is the most important. Are you from the EU/EEA? Your health insurance policy in your home country might cover you. Non-EU/EEA students receive health insurance through the financial guarantee. Other useful insurances are liability insurance, repatriation insurance and household contents insurance.

  • Working

    The rules on working depend on your nationality. All international students working in the Netherlands must have Dutch public health insurance.

    Are you from the EU/EEA? Then you are free to work in the Netherlands.

    Are you from outside the EU/EEA? Then you are free to do self-employed work. To work for an employer, you need a work permit and the hours are restricted.

  • Public transport

    The Netherlands has excellent public transport. In the Nijmegen and Arnhem area you can get almost everywhere by train or bus. In the bigger cities, you can also use the tram or metro. To pay for these services you use an OV chip card (OV-chipkaart in Dutch).

  • Government

    When living in the Netherlands, you need a citizen service number (BSN). This number is important for all your dealings with the government. For example, to open a bank account or to visit a doctor. You get a BSN number after registering at city hall.

Cost of living

As a rule of thumb, you need about €1000 a month as a student in Arnhem or Nijmegen to live comfortably. Want to know more about monthly expenses and how to save money? Read more on our cost of living page.

What Approx. cost per month
Renting a furnished room + utilities €400-€675
Food from the grocery store €220
Insurance costs €130
Books and study materials €340
Public transport €50-€100
Telephone costs €30


Other expenses depend on your spending patterns. To give you an idea of these costs:

What Approx. price
Movie ticket € 10
Meal in a simple café € 15
Coffee/tea or soft drink on a terrace € 2.50 - € 3.00


  • Er is geen omschrijving beschikbaar
  • HAN Arnhem campus

    Ruitenberglaan 26
    6826 CC Arnhem
  • Er is geen omschrijving beschikbaar

Contact us

Got a question? Contact us at ASK HAN. We're happy to help!

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 08:00 - 17:00

Ready to start?

Apply now

in verschillende groepjes