Exchange students

Are you an international student? Are you coming on exchange to the Netherlands? Then you might need a visa. The type of visa you need depends on your nationality and your length of stay in the Netherlands. Read on to find out more.

Which one applies to me?

EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA?

EU/EEA stands for European Union / European Economic Area. Do you have a passport for one of these countries or for Switzerland? Then you are considered an EU/EEA citizen. Do you have a passport for another country? Then you are considered a non-EU/EEA citizen. Want to check if your country is part of the EU or EEA? Go to the site of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)

Which visa do I need?

For visas nationalities are divided in EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA. Also length of stay. Click on the category that applies to you.

Applying for an entry visa / residence permit

Are you an exchange student needing a visa/residence permit? Have you received your acceptance to study at HAN? HAN Immigration applies for your entry visa and/or residence permit before you arrive in the Netherlands. Before that happens, both you and HAN Immigration need to straighten out a few details.  

Submit the following documents via email to HAN International Office – Immigration (


Your visa application can only be processed once you’ve paid the IND application fee. We need to receive your payment and all completed documents by the following deadlines: 

Fall semester 15 June
Spring semester 15 November

Are you a Bangladesh, India, Nepal or Pakistan national?  
Your visa documents generally take longer to be processed by the IND. That’s why we recommend you submit your visa application earlier. By 15 May for the fall semester or 15 October for the spring semester.

How to Provide Proof of Financial Means

For each semester of study, you need at least € 6,089.80 freely available to you. Select the relevant option(s) below. You can combine options to come to the necessary amount if needed. For example, self-supporting and scholarship.

What Happens After I Submit my Visa Documents?

Note: we only process study-related visa applications. Are you coming with family members? Please contact the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country. They tell you how your family members can apply for a visa.