Healthcare and insurance

The Netherlands has a good healthcare system. Learn more about healthcare in the Netherlands and the health insurance options for international students.

Student met infuus

Medical help

Basic medical help In the Netherlands starts with the GP (general practitioner, family doctor or "huisarts" in Dutch). For almost all health issues, you usually contact your GP first. Important: you need to find a GP in your local area and sign up there first.

Pharmacy or drugstore? 


For prescription medicines in the Netherlands, go to the pharmacy ("apotheek" in Dutch). Your doctor will usually write out the prescription online and send it directly to the pharmacy. Please note that the contraceptive pill is only available on a doctor's prescription in the Netherlands. 

For non-prescription medicines (over-the-counter medicines like paracetemol or cough syrup), you can go to the drugstore ("drogist" in Dutch). The Netherlands has a few large drugstore chains, Kruidvat, Etos, DA. Most towns have at least one of these. Supermarkets also stock basic over-the-counter medicines, but they are usually a bit more expensive than the drugstores.

On campus or via GP 

Psychological support

As a HAN student you can get in touch with one of the student psychologists. They have offices in both Arnhem and Nijmegen. For more info about counseling options at HAN, go to our Student Services page.

Your GP can also help in finding a psychologist or therapist. Your health insurance will not cover the costs of a consult with all psychologists or therapists. So ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist whose consults will be covered. The same is valid if you need to see a physiotherapist or any other therapist.

Student health insurance

There are 4 health insurance options depending on your situation:

  1. AON health insurance for financial guarantee students. Are you required to pay the financial guarantee? Then you receive AON health insurance for the 1st year. Or for 1 semester if you start your degree in February or do an exchange. The cost of this insurance is included in the financial guarantee. The International Office arranges this on your behalf. After this period, you must renew and pay for the insurance yourself. More about the Financial Guarantee. And more about the AON health insurance.
  2. Health insurance from home country. Your insurance policy in your home country might cover your stay in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has health insurance agreements with most European countries. Also, with some non-European countries. In that case, request an international declaration form or a European Health Insurance Card from your health insurance company. Bring these with you as you will need them when you see a doctor. And make sure the documents are written in a common European language (English, French, German or Spanish). Always check whether and for how long the EHIC from your home country will cover you during your stay abroad (it differs per country). You might need to take out additional insurance. More about the EHIC.
  3. Dutch public health insurance. Are you employed in the Netherlands? Or doing a paid internship? You have to get Dutch public health insurance. The cost of this is often higher than student insurance. See more about Working as a Student.
  4. Private health insurance. Not covered under public health insurance of the Netherlands or your home country? You have to get a private health insurance policy. There are special policies available for international students in the Netherlands, e.g. a special policy at AON. 

HAN International Office

The HAN International Office provides support for incoming international and outgoing exchange students. International students that have been accepted at HAN University of Applied Sciences can count on International Office staff to help them with practical matters. 

Student met infuus